Monday, January 23, 2012

The Holy Grail of Menswear, Pitti Uomo happened last weekend, and Men's fashion week is currently under way in Paris. I haven't been able to attend either, but I've come across some dope (and not-so-dope) looks on the interwebs. My childhood hero, Walter Van Beirendonck nailed it. Walter's collections are always over-the-top spectacles that never fail to impress, or a at least open your eyes. This season there was a mix of creepy and wacky. Masked models came out wearing eye-popping colors and rubber boots. The nod to fetishism would normally garner an eye-roll, but it's not a tired, hyper masculine Tom of Finland vibe that we've all seen before. It's like Jason Voorhees jumped in a tub of orange paint and decided to hit the town. Walter's been reminding us to have fun with clothes for over two decades, and is one of the few designers who can truly play with fashion without pumping out fatuous garbage. I'll be rocking some of this stuff next winter, if my bank account permits me to do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment