Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Brian Entler (Lady Bear)

For my first entry in the blog world, I took some time to chat with my boyfriend, Brian Entler. Brian's a local San Francisco drag queen who has a penchant for putting a look together (whether that is working a pair of jeans and a cardigan, or in a dress and pantyhose) With a great eye and a charismatic personality, Brian never fails in the style department. I sat down with Brian to ask him a few questions about his personal style, and what has influenced him in the past and present. 

Special thanks goes out to De Kwok for taking the photos!


How would you describe your personal style?
"Deconstructed post modern urban." Actually, anyone that comes up with a concept like this is a douche bag/student at FIDM. I guess I start with stuff that fits well and put things together that work well. When I stop to think about it, which i usually don't, I guess I lean heavily towards classic sportswear working around classic items, collared button ups, polo shirts, pea coats etc, but worn in a slightly unusual way/accessorized with something interesting.  


What was the first garment you bought that you were proud of?
The First?  I had a really cool sweater with an abstract pattern on it in middle school. I bet some hipster rescued  it from the Good Will and is wearing it right now with leggings and frames with no lenses. 

Who are your major style influences, both in the past and the present?
Hmmm, I guess skinheads and what are called "Teddyboys." When I went though that really awkward Ska stage in middle/high school I thought they looked really cool. Wearing really traditional clothing, but in a self conscious way that still said "fuck you". I found that much more punk rock than people who sewed band patches to their jackets but wore ugly, thoughtless clothes otherwise.  I had a total crush on Elvis Costello and I remember a middle school semi-formal outfit that was basically what he was wearing in the 80's, bolo tie and grey leather pimp shoes. All the other boys were wearing khaki slacks, navy blazers & topsiders. I'm sure I looked ridiculous, but who cares? 

What's the first thing that catches your eye when you walk into a shop?
The sale rack. I'm a Frugal Fannie. 

What current trend bothers you the most?
Too many specific ones to count and they change day to day, sometimes hour to hour depending on where I am and who's around. But some good examples include:


 A) Conspicuous brand names(that applies equally to Old Navy or Marc Jaobs or anything else) This seems obvious and cliche-but somehow it persists despite being widely acknowledged as tacky, even by many of the people that still do it. Are we all in denial? 

 B) Gay guys carrying high end purses and pretending they are tote bags because they happen to be made out of canvas. Jack Spade makes tote bags. If it's $500 from Louis Vuitton, has brass hardware and a tassel on the zipper pull, then it's a canvas purse. FYI, my issue with this isn't men with purses (I'd love that). It's that they won't ADMIT they are carrying purses, and get all pissy when you call it one. 
Overall I'd say people that are just brazenly thoughtless & lazy, and are clearly just wearing whatever the retailers are putting out in front of them (and that applies to those that shop at old navy, Marc Jacobs and everything in between). 

If you were given a $5,000 giftcard what would you purchase?
I know this is a style blog, but I'd cheat and buy a new macbook pro. Then go thrifting with whatever is left over. I really don't buy high end, it never fits big boys. 






2 comments: