Tuesday, March 22, 2011

James Gobel

This is my friend James Gobel. I consider James not only to be one of my best friends, but somewhat of a mentor. Some of you might be familiar with James' whimsical paintings of cherubic men. I appreciate James' look, as he is never one to shy away from color in both his art work and every day style. JG's a big inspiration, so I took the time out to ask him a few questions.


Once again, special thanks to De Kwok for taking the photos.


In a body fascist world, I appreciate the fact that you're unapologetic about being a big man. Why do you think so many men of size shy away from experimenting with clothing? 
I don’t know why the chunky guys palette is so often just beige and denim. I get extra excited every time I see one all bright and gussied up. Leigh Bowery died too young to change the world. I love bright sparkly clothing and architecture. Learned all about that stuff living in LV years ago, and still can’t shake my admiration of glitz in clothing too. The bigger you are, the more sparkles!


You're the king of bargain shopping which I am terrible at. How do you manage to always pick the best pieces at the bargain basement?
Relentless desire to pinch a penny. I am a brand hunter, and like rejects. If I don’t have an extra button hole on one side of my new button down, I can't leave the house. That is a double digit fashion tip.


As a professor at a local art school, you're constantly surrounded by young people. Is there anyone in particular who has inspired you lately?
The students at CCA never fail to impress. Just when I think there is nothing left to do with high top… a whole new strap is added. I am way too old for most of it, but they make me smile all day!


What's the one thing you'd love to splurge on right now?
Jewelry. I want to start wearing more jewelry.


Any pointers for the clueless?
Burn all bootcut.











No comments:

Post a Comment