Friday, March 25, 2011

Some People Will Never Need A Stylist

There has always been a correlation between music and fashion. However, it's very rare that musician/band members who are effortlessly stylish are recognized. I've never cared about Lenny Kravitz wearing Versace, or over-styled rock stars. Looking back at the days of glam metal makes me vomit.  When I was a kid, I was more attracted to the videos on 120 Minutes than Guns n Roses. Growing up with an affinity for fringe music and fashion was not the norm. This brings me to an my endless love affair with two seminal hardcore bands: Nation of Ulysses and Bad Brains. When one thinks of style this genre rarely comes to mind. I grew up listening to Nation of Ulysses, and admiring Ian Svenonius' style. Not only did he have an illuminating stage presence, but his look was saying a lot, effortlessly. Bad Brains is another band that comes to mind. Much like Ian Svenonius and Nation of Ulysses, Bad Brains  looked great without making a fashion statement. I have never been a fan of the late 70s punk aesthetic, with superfluous spikes and zippers. Being a minimalist none of that has ever appealed to me. If you look at the images below, you'll see some incredibly sharp fellas, who not only brought the world amazing music, but did it with style. I'm a terminal preppy, yet I still look to these two bands for inspiration, not only in the way I dress, but also in how I approach life. I'd like to salute you, Nation of Ulysses and Bad Brains, for making me feel like I can look good and still be badass.



3 comments: